From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] external SSD problem
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 15:15:25
1 >> I just got one of these:
2 >>
3 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208913
4 >>
5 >> It seems to work fine except that once I eject it in Thunar, I get
6 >> this in dmesg:
7 >>
8 >> sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
9 >> sd 8:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
10 >>
11 >> The only way to get the /dev/sdb device back is to 'modprobe -r
12 >> xhci_hcd && modprobe xhci_hcd'. I've tried two different USB3 cables.
13 >> I have an external USB3 hard drive that works fine but /dev/sdb
14 >> doesn't appear after ejecting the SSD unless I modprobe xhci_hcd.
15 >> Should I file a kernel bug?
16 >
17 > What happens if you issue "umount /mountpoint" from a vt, rather than clicking
18 > "eject" in Thunar?
19
20 That does work fine as does right-click + Unmount from within Thunar.
21 Ejecting from within Thunar seems to be the troublesome one.
22
23 - Grant