From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IPCHAINS or other alternative firewalls or packet-filters?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 23:17:42
1 On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:11:36 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > IPCHAINS did the firewall job for me. Early versions of IPTABLES
5 > were OK too. But it eventually developed the Mozilla disease, and
6 > became a honking big routing/gatewaying/QOSing/singing/dancing
7 > monstrosity, of which I required only a small fraction of its
8 > "functionality". And I'm really confused as to which parts in
9 > netfilter/xtables/iptables I need to build into the kernel.
10
11 Hey,
12
13 I too am a minimalist but I think you've got iptables misidentified.
14 It has lots of features; that's not the same as saying it's bloated.
15 More like the linux kernel (and in fact it _is_, as others have said,
16 the linux kernel) - it supports a lot of different functionality. If
17 you don't want a particular capability, disable it in the kernel.
18
19 If you want a quick firewall setup, use
20 http://spore.ath.cx/~dan/doc/home-firewall.html. It's what I use and my
21 step by step guide should save you a bit of effort.