From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting around ancient SATA disk size limitations
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:48:07
1 On 2012-06-18 16:34, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > Hitachi, I think. Fry's had two choies differing in size of cache
4 > (64M vs 32M) and some 3TB drives too. I could get the model numbers
5 > when I get back to that system (not near it for a few days).
6
7 Ah, the deskstar 7K4000 is readily available on Hitachi Global Storage
8 (which is owned by Western digital) home page... Funny, I first looked
9 at Hitachis homepage and they refered to Toshibas home page... :-s
10
11 Will you be using these (huge!) drives as boot drives or merely as
12 storage? If the latter and you're really desperate (haven't tried this
13 myself) there should be an option to turn off the automatic discovery of
14 drives in the BIOS and (possibly) let the kernel discover them (again
15 haven't tried it but I don't see why you can't "hotswap" the drives
16 without BIOS aid)...
17
18 Also, this is an "advanced format" drive that emulates 512-byte sectors
19 so there may be some fiddling before getting it right:
20 https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-4kb-sector-disks/
21
22 Best regards
23