From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel Version
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:56:14
1 On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:41:50 +0000, karlos wrote:
2
3 > I have found that, even after various attempts, I can not make my
4 > system use the new kernel I have just compiled.
5 > I proceeded in the following order:
6 >
7 > first:
8 > emerge gentoo-sources
9 >
10 > then:
11 > cd /usr/src
12 > ls
13 > linux linux-2.6.13-gentoo-r5
14
15 rm linux
16
17 > ln -sf linux-2.6.13-gentoo-r5 linux
18
19 ln will not overwrite an existing directory symlink. Or make it easier by
20 setting the symlink USE flag.
23 > then:
24 > make menuconfig and
25 > make && make modules_install
26
27 You forgot make install
28
29 > then change /etc/lilo.conf to the new(and only) kernel
30
31 Rerun lilo after changing lilo.conf. Or if you can't remember to do that
32 every time, use GRUB :)
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 GOTO: (n.) an efficient and general way of controlling a program, much
39 despised by academics and others whose brains have been ruined by
40 overexposure to Pascal.