From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/log/messages size
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:42:46
1 Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
2
3 >Hi All, I was looking for explanations about syslog-ng and got stucked....
4 >I was wondering why my /var/log/messages has 2.1 GB size and if I can
5 >reduce this size or config it better; I am using default syslog-ng
6 >config that was emerged by gentoo instalation.
10 For starters:
11
12 emerge logrotate
13 man logrotate
14 vi /etc/logrotate.d/syslog-ng
15
16 Also, if there is a particular message that is filling up your log, you
17 can filter that out in /etc/syslog.d/syslog-ng.conf. For example:
18
19 # The eth reset messages also bug me...
20 filter not_eth_reset {
21 not(match("PHY reset until link up"));
22 };
23 ...
24 log { source(src); filter(not_nmbd); filter(not_eth_reset);
25 destination(messages); };
26 ...
27
28 HTH