From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wayland side-effect?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 00:11:15
1 On Sunday, 27 December 2020 21:01:09 GMT antlists wrote:
2 > On 27/12/2020 18:51, Michael wrote:
3 > > Restarting the desktop using Xorg does NOT fix this problem. Otherwise,
4 > > both Plasma on Wayland and Xorg work fine - except the clipboard does not
5 > > work on Wayland (middle click won't paste selected text on another
6 > > window).
7 >
8 > This sounds to me like a side-effect of Wayland security. I don't really
9 > know anything about it, but I get the impression that talking between
10 > windows is an unsolved security problem.
11 >
12 > Of course, it could be it's a solved problem, but you've hit a glitch...
13 >
14 > Cheers,
15 > Wol
16
17 Yes, the clipboard issue is due to the isolation between application windows
18 for security reasons. It should also stop keyloggers having a go at my
19 typing. Annoying nonetheless, I hadn't realised how much I use the middle-
20 click clipboard feature! Selecting text with the mouse, then using right-
21 click Copy (or Ctrl+c) and right-click Paste (Ctrl+v) works, as a long winded
22 alternative.
23
24 I wonder if the message preview pane problem in Kmail is also caused by the
25 same wayland window isolation? Hmm ...