From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 11:54:06
1 On Saturday 14 May 2011 11:21:51 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 11:38 on Saturday 14 May 2011, Felix Miata
3 > did
4 >
5 > opine thusly:
6 > > On 2011/05/14 08:25 (GMT+0200) Alan McKinnon composed:
7 > > > Felix Miata composed:
8
9 > > >> Is it telling me I have to change my USE from -gtk to +gtk, or can
10 > > >> emerging one of those 8 packages listed satisfy the dep? IOW, it's
11 > > >> unclear to me what "One of the following packages" actually refers
12 > > >> to.
13 > > >
14 > > > It's telling you that you must enable USE=gtk for libcanberra for that
15 > > > build to succeed. The chain of packages listed won't solve the problem,
16 > > > they are causing it.
17 [snip... wise advice from Alan ...]
18
19 > Do keep in mind that I can't tell you what to do because you haven't really
20 > defined what you want yet. I could tell you to add
21 > "-gnome -gtk -vlc -libnotify"
22 > to USE in /etc/make.conf and that would certainly obliterate gnome for
23 > sure. But it might also be overreaching.
24
25 If you want libcanberra and therefore you must have USE="gtk", but you do not
26 want to have any other packages compiled with the gtk USE flag, you can define
27 it only for the package in question by adding a line in
28 /etc/portage/package.use like so:
29
30 media-libs/libcanberra gtk -oss
31
32 to e.g. enable the gtk and disable the oss flags.
33
34 To see whether a flag has been set or not and relevant information about it,
35 run:
36
37 euse -i <flag>
38
39 For libcanberra it shows:
40
41 [- cD ] gtk (media-libs/libcanberra):
42 Enables building of gtk+ helper library, gtk+ runtime sound effects and the
43 canberra-gtk-play utility. To enable the gtk+ sound effects add canberra-gtk-
44 module to the colon separated list of modules in the GTK_MODULES environment
45 variable.
46
47 Use option -I to see which packages have been installed using a particular
48 flag. Have a look in man euse to decipher the symbols.
51 To see all the flags for a particular package after it has been installed run:
52
53 equery uses libcanberra
54 [ Searching for packages matching libcanberra... ]
55 [ Colour Code : set unset ]
56 [ Legend : Left column (U) - USE flags from make.conf ]
57 [ : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
58 [ Found these USE variables for media-libs/libcanberra-0.26 ]
59 U I
60 + + alsa : Adds support for media-libs/alsa-lib (Advanced Linux Sound
61 Architecture)
62 - - gstreamer : Adds support for media-libs/gstreamer (Streaming media)
63 + + gtk : Adds support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit)
64 - - oss : Adds support for OSS (Open Sound System)
65 - - pulseaudio : Adds support for PulseAudio sound server
66 - + sound : Enable sound support
67 - - tdb : Enables Trivial Database support for caching purposes.
70 You can also check flags and (r)dependencies on line:
71
72 http://gentoo-portage.com/Browse
75 > > BTW, my 3rd kernel did solve my video on ttys problem, and get me access
76 > > to my EXT2 partition. :-)
77
78 Have you read and applied http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml to find
79 out how to configure your card and xorg?
80 --
81 Regards,
82 Mick