From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Council vs Umbrella Corp ?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 18:10:35
1 On 8/28/20 1:20 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Jack wrote:
3 >> On 8/28/20 12:33 PM, james wrote:
4 >>> On 8/27/20 10:11 PM, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> james wrote:
6 >>>>> Gentoo,
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2020/08/25/is-an-umbrella-organization-a-good-choice-for-gentoo/
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> Surely some of the business/legal savvy folks want to "chime in" on
15 >>>>> Sir Gorny's proposal?
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>> I just read this on 'hacker news'
19 >>>>>
20 >>>>> It just sounds like mostly a lack of fund raising to operate?
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>>
23 >>>>> James
24 >>>>>
25 >>>>>
26 >>>>
27 >>>>
28 >>>> There's several issues that lead to this.� For ages, the financial
29 >>>> books were not kept up to date.� From what I recall, some
30 >>>> paperwork was lost which made it difficult to impossible to do the
31 >>>> needed IRS filings.� Things on that part seemed to snowball from
32 >>>> there.� In the past few years or so, that has been dealt with and
33 >>>> from what I've read, it is now up to date and they are trying to get
34 >>>> back in good standing with the IRS and other Govt entities.� I
35 >>>> think I read where most of the hard work as already been done, just
36 >>>> needs time to kick in.� It isn't hard to get into that situation,
37 >>>> it just takes one year with a mistake to trigger bad things.� It
38 >>>> takes a lot of work to get it cleared up tho.� All of us should be
39 >>>> grateful to the ones who put in the hard work to get that taken care
40 >>>> of.� I'm sure it took a lot of effort and time to get that
41 >>>> done.� I'm sure it was boring as heck to do as well.� Some of us
42 >>>> would likely have no hair left.
43 >>>>
44 >>>> Another issue, not many want to run the foundation.� The devs
45 >>>> mostly want to write code.� They aren't to much interested in
46 >>>> running the foundation part of it.� A few do because it is needed
47 >>>> and they do their best, some even go far beyond that, but they
48 >>>> really want to write code.� That's what developers came to Gentoo
49 >>>> for after all. Since there is two different bodies that run Gentoo
50 >>>> in different ways, it further reduces the number of people wanting
51 >>>> to do the job.� The foundation part is from my understanding,
52 >>>> bureaucratic paperwork.� Who wants to do that for free?� There's
53 >>>> not many. Basically, if you run for a position on the foundation,
54 >>>> it's good odds you get it because usually just enough run to fill
55 >>>> the open spots.� I often wonder, do they draw straws to pick
56 >>>> people to run just so things keep chugging along??� LOL
57 >>>>
58 >>>> Then there is the costs.� It costs to deal with all the paperwork
59 >>>> and filings.� There's state filings as well as federal.� Missing
60 >>>> either of those can cause trouble for the other and also get
61 >>>> expensive and time consuming to correct.� Again, very few want to
62 >>>> deal with it.� The few that do likely do it because Gentoo needs
63 >>>> it not because they are jumping up and down wanting to do it.�
64 >>>> It's what keeps Gentoo going. It's cheaper to join some other group
65 >>>> like has been talked about for years and let them take a percentage
66 >>>> of the money and them as professionals handle all that nasty
67 >>>> paperwork and filings.
68 >>>>
69 >>>> My personal opinion.� I'm still leaning to keep Gentoo as it is
70 >>>> but I'm not the one doing all the boring work either.� My concern,
71 >>>> Gentoo joins some group and it ends badly for Gentoo.� Maybe they
72 >>>> screw up something and that puts Gentoo and maybe everyone else in
73 >>>> the group in jeopardy with govt entities or lawsuits.� On the
74 >>>> other hand, if Gentoo doesn't have the right people, they could do
75 >>>> the same thing to themselves.� The people who do run for those
76 >>>> seats do try their best even if something goes wrong.� Thing is,
77 >>>> it doesn't take much to run afoul of govt entities or trigger a
78 >>>> lawsuit. Gentoo has been lucky in that regard.� There is no easy
79 >>>> answer to this.� Either way has advantages.� Same can be said
80 >>>> for disadvantages as well.
81 >>>>
82 >>>> I'm sure there is more that isn't known to the public and I'm sure
83 >>>> some things are escaping my mind at the moment.� Either way,
84 >>>> whatever keeps Gentoo going and successful, that is what needs to be
85 >>>> done.� Since I don't have a crystal ball, I'm not sure which is
86 >>>> best long term.
87 >>>>
88 >>>> Now someone add more to this.� ;-)
89 >>>>
90 >>>> Dale
91 >>>>
92 >>>> :-)� :-)
93 >>>
94 >>> The referenced article says this:
95 >>>
96 >>> "Right now we�re already relying on a CPA to handle our filings.
97 >>> For a commercial company (we are one now), the cost is $1500 a year."
98 >>>
99 >>> Seems way too high. I pay $500/yr for a C corp here in Florida; a
100 >>> firm that that is "outstanding" with the US IRS.
101 >>>
102 >>>
103 >>> "If we wanted to go for proper non-profit, the estimated cost is
104 >>> between $2000 and $3000 a year."
105 >>>
106 >>>
107 >>> Still seems way to high. With Gentoo, we can use Any state, so why
108 >>> not move the home to a low cost state?
109 >>>
110 >>> Many corps use Delaware, just for that reason.
111 >> I think most of those listed numbers are not just the official filing
112 >> fees, but include paying a CPA to do the filings.� While certified CPA
113 >> is not required to do any of those filings, I suspect it is now that
114 >> way because historically, the volunteer who was supposed to do it
115 >> didn't.� Paying someone does seem excessively expensive, but you know
116 >> it will get done, and if not, you have some legal recourse.
117 >>>
118 >>>
119 >>> "If we were to pass full accounting to an external company, the rough
120 >>> estimate I�ve been given by Trustees is $2400. So once our
121 >>> volunteer bookkeeper retires, we�re talking of around $4000 +
122 >>> larger taxes for a corporation, or $4500 to $5500 + very little taxes
123 >>> for a non-profit."
124 >>>
125 >>>
126 >>> Again, these numbers are WAY TOO HIGH. Shop around!
127 >>> Many states are way less expensive.
128 >> Again, I think those numbers are to pay someone to handle the filings,
129 >> not just the fees.� I don't suppose it really changes much about the
130 >> discussion.
131 >>>
132 >>>
133 >>> Ok so ask why don't I volunteer? I've been using gentoo, since 2002.
134 >>> I have made many enemies, because of my views on the whole "install"
135 >>> abortion. WE could easily help another loosely coupled, gentoo
136 >>> derivative distro
137 >>> create a robust, easy install system, whilst leaving "Gentoo Proper"
138 >>> as an enclave for the brilliant.
139 >>>
140 >>> It there were agreement to that sort "diatribe", enthusiastically,
141 >>> THEN I could help the trustee situation, and help bring in lots of
142 >>> cash to pay devs for what every reason the technical leaders decide.
143 >>>
144 >>> CoreOS, gentoo-install (Mike Mol), CloverOS, and dozens and dozens
145 >>> (over the years) have solved this problem, bot did not receive any
146 >>> love or praise from the Gentoo devs......
147 >>>
148 >>>
149 >>> So, if Gentoo wants money, as a charity, it is so simple, it hurts.
150 >>> BUT a few things have to change (non-negotiable)!
151 >>>
152 >>>
153 >>> I've done this too many times with dozens of folks. ALL are
154 >>> multi-millionaires. MONEY is easy, but it does come with strings
155 >>> (actually very few for something like gentoo).� The current situation
156 >>> is pathetic and easy to fix. Be warned, when it comes to money, and I
157 >>> am on the responsibility chain, I tend to be a bit dictatorial. Once
158 >>> the money starts flowing in, I'd look to hand things off to a much
159 >>> younger techie, so he(she) can build there resume and I can drift
160 >>> back into oblivion,
161 >>> in a cabin, in the woods.......
162 >>>
163 >>>
164 >>> For me, it just breaks my heart to see Gentoo needed to have one of
165 >>> our (currently) awesome coders have to "prostrate" himself publicly
166 >>> like this. But, if a broken system/leadership is broken, then that is
167 >>> the sign things need to change. This has been a recurring situation,
168 >>> for 2 decades now. Just look around, most other distros have so much
169 >>> 'action' going on, they are rolling in cabbage.
170 >>>
171 >>> Perhaps the Gentoo council members ought to engage the gentoo-user
172 >>> list, directly? Surely others would have solution, very viable, to
173 >>> what I have proposed?
174 >>>
175 >>> The second thing I'd do, if on the council, is have a direct program
176 >>> for High School age kids to use Gentoo to become entrepreneurs.
177 >>> That's right, how to form a C-corp, write some codes and start
178 >>> receiving funds directly into their C-corp. Minimum goal? Self
179 >>> Funding for Secondary education. Learn Business via gentoo, and
180 >>> coding "from the masters" aka gentoo devs.
181 >>>
182 >>> There are tons of methods for young entrepreneurs to access funding
183 >>> and grants, if you "get your house in order". For that, it means a
184 >>> simple Rasp. Pi. 4 sourcecode install? The microprocessor companies
185 >>> would line up to build boards, for these kids. EASY as PIE!
186 >>>
187 >>> Be Bold and Be Bad_ass, if you want to live and prosper in this day
188 >>> and age.
189 >>>
190 >>>
191 >>> painfully,
192 >>> James
193 >>>
194 >>>
199 > I agree there is likely more done with those fees than just filing
200 > paperwork.� I've read there is a CPA involved and I recall lawyer being
201 > mentioned a few times too.
202
203 CPAs are a dime a dozen, if you know where to look. I have a board
204 certified, Lawyer+CPA that does my hi end stuff for free. But I give him
205 much more in the way of technology and engineering skills. He is filthy
206 rich, owns an island in the Carribean and travels the world.
207
208 Surely Calif. and Texas and Delaware are full of such masters of law,
209 taxes and charities....
212 > Another thing, some devs aren't even in the
213 > USA.� I'm sure any expenses related to things they do are more
214 > complicated to file.
215
216 Wrong. The get a credit card and put expenses on that, that benefit a US
217 charity; 100% tax deductible, if the expenditure "benefits or is
218 essential" to the charity. It's call "case law". Any CPA, with a lawyer
219 in good standing in the US, knows all about this. Gentoo is FAMOUS,
220 globally. USE IT! WE can get a real bad has to handle gentoo, legally
221 and financially. But, surely there will be new rules, some do not like.
222 TOUGH.
227 > Since the GSoC thing is almost always
228 > international, I'm sure it requires more detailed tracking and time to
229 > compile the info.� Given that air traffic, read that as mail services,
230 > between the USA and other countries is shutdown due to the bug, that may
231 > complicate things even more.
232 >
233 > I think the person who is handling things now might could do the
234 > paperwork and filing BUT it takes time.
237 Dude. It's call "gnucash". Those that act as or get paid or spend Gentoo
238 funds, input the data, the same day, into a Gentoo-GNUcash system. At
239 tax time, it takes an accountant, minutes to generate a tax return.
240 Initiation and use overseas accounting, accounts and such is a reciepe
241 for an audit. DONT DO THAT!> = DIRT SIMPLE.
242 Done it for decades. You want to please the IRS?
243 Dont do business with China. DIRT SIMPLE.
246 > I think they spent most of
247 > their time trying to fix history not more recent things.
248
249 That is done, move on.
252 > From the sound
253 > of it, getting back in to the good graces of the IRS was a difficult and
254 > time consuming ordeal.
257 That's because they used THE WRONG LAWYER!
258
259 > Let's keep in mind, that person as far as I know
260 > is not paid.
261
262 Fix the broken/archane install, and we'll have plenty of cash to utilize.
265 > They spend time on it as they can just like devs do with
266 > code.� If they have a bad week at work, that could mean nothing Gentoo
267 > gets done that week.� After all, real life has to be looked after first.
268
269 Timely entries into a Gentoo-gnucash system fixes all of that,
270 instantaneously. NO EXCEPTIONS.
271 >
272 > As to forking, its been done before.� As a general rule, someone thinks
273 > they have a much better plan so off they go.� Most don't make it long
274 > and so far, I don't think any of the survivors have come close to the
275 > success of Gentoo itself.� I've never really seen the sense in forking
276 > as long as Gentoo is still working and serving a persons need.
277
278 EASE of installation mean more members means more spending money to make
279 the distro, great again.
282 > Sort of waiting for Rich to chime in here.� He likely knows more of what
283 > is going on plus may remember things better than me.� ;-)
284
285 I have a history of pissing off folks with the truth. The truth is
286 thousands of corporations have made billions of dollars with gentoo. The
287 retarted installation system is just a filter from millions of other,
288 with less money, to build a functionally, awesome development project.
289 GREED.
290 >
291 > Dale
292 >
293 > :-)� :-)
294
295 Dale, my strong response to you, is not a personal attack or in any way
296 negative. I appreciate your contributions to gentoo.
297
298 But when one of our technical leaders, mgorny, who is totally awesome,
299 has to prostrate himself publicly on "Hacker News" it is time for a
300 drastic change, financially. If others have that fix, please step
301 forward. The fact that nobody wants to volunteer for the Gentoo coucils,
302 translates into this distro is in trouble.
303
304 So here is a little further detail on what I propose. Each of the Gentoo
305 council members nees to be responsible, individually, for bringing in
306 funds to Gentoo. The funds they each bring in, are under singular
307 authority to spend, to the benefit of the Gentoo distribution.
308
309 Half of those funds, raise by that council member, go directly to the
310 technies to decide how to spend (a budget).
311
312 The other half are directly managed by that council member; to be spent
313 as he/she sees fit. The US IRS has rules, standards and plethora of
314 documents delineating the details of what can and what cannot be spent
315 however.
316
317 A council member, from say England, could manage how 1/2 of what they
318 raise is spent. It could even "english centric" but must comply with USA
319 IRS standards. Our council could be expanded to many members, from other
320 countries, with a centic goal of spending Gentoo funds
321 (1/2 of what they raise) in any country they choose subject to USA tax
322 standards). Realize many churches in the USA (501-c) do just that. WHY
323 the USA? I'm glad you asked. Charities, in good standing with the USA
324 IRS, can pretty much articulate GLOBALLY, without fear. Most foreign
325 government, imho, have less standing in the world. It cottified as TAX
326 TREATIES and most governments of the world have with with the USA IRS.
327 It's the gold standard for global finance. England use to be pretty
328 close to bad-ass, but the whole EU clusterF put quite a tarnish,
329 interantionally of the English banking system.
330 YMMV.
333 DIRT simple to fix. James is going to focus on the USA,
334 and getting thousands of high school kids into a corporation, being a
335 Gentoo dev; and MAKING MONEY THEY CONTROL.
336
337 Without the council AND the Gentoo devs signing of on a program like
338 this; at 100% my costs, then I'm not interested in active participation.
339
340 Dale, you are deeply appreciated. If other technical moguls disagree,
341 let them for Geetoo-whatever, in another country, gentoo-china(?) and
342 run their own charity according to those rules.
343
344 Truly, there is no other globally recognized tax system
345 like the USA-IRS (bad ass && world class open). That's why in times of
346 trouble, entrepreneurs world wide flock to the "dollar". Also, being in
347 elite standing with the USA-IRS opens many door doors to enhance and
348 promote and deploy GENTOO globally.
351 sincerely,
352 James Horton, PE
353 (actually in good standing)