From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] zoom?
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 12:05:23
1 On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 11:59:51 GMT Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 25, 2020, at 07:51, Jorge Almeida wrote:
3 > > Did someone try to install zoom? (relevant to many people during the
4 > > current crisis)
5 > >
6 > > https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/204206269-Installing-Zoom-on-Lin
7 > > ux
8 > >
9 > > I downloaded an archive (cannot find the URL again; the site is that
10 > > bad) and the directory doesn't even contain a REDME...)
11 > >
12 > > Jorge Almeida
13 >
14 > I've been using Zoom for a few months with the flatpak from flathub
15 > (https://flathub.org/apps/details/us.zoom.Zoom). Flatpak makes it very
16 > easy, handles updates, etc. which is why I started running it that way.
17 >
18 > Given all the stuff I've heard about Zoom in the past week related to how
19 > much info it takes from your machine while it's running, I may be moving it
20 > into a VM pretty soon.
21 >
22 > Alec
23
24 I have not used Zoom, but the interwebs are screaming about the fly-by malware
25 silent installations that come with it. I don't know if this applies to Linux
26 too.