From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xdm problems
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 02:24:39
1 I'm trying to finish up a fresh install of gentoo, and I've run into
2 the following problem: when trying to start xdm, the screen turns
3 black, flickers once, and the system freezes. According to the xdm
4 log (attached) I get errors regarding AGP, sometimes xf86_EINVAL and
5 sometimes xf86_ENODEV. I tried setting the permissions mask in my
6 udev rules to 777, and now xdm starts up, but freezes on exit.
7 Running startx both as root and as a normal user works fine, but xdm
8 has problems.
9
10 I've had this working before on the same hardware, using the same
11 config. A different kernel; the working kernel was 2.6.11 whereas
12 this is 2.6.12, but all the relevant kernel options (framebuffer, drm,
13 etc) are the same. So far the forums and googling have yielded
14 unhelpful results, except for the suggestion of changing the
15 permissions, so I'm assuming I've done something boneheaded that
16 perhaps the list will catch. Thanks in advance.

xdm.log text/plain
xorg.conf text/plain
Xorg.log text/plain