From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why has genkernel initramfs changed behaviour!?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 11:05:47
1 On Thursday, November 18, 2021 11:31:57 AM CET Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 09:12:41 +0100, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > I've never been happy with genkernel and roll my own using a
4 > > config-file that's configured directly into the kernel.
5 > > All it needs to do is enable LVM, mount the partitions and then
6 > > continue with booting. On my laptop, it also decrypts the partition
7 > > that contains LVM. All very simple and easy.
8 >
9 > I used to do the same, building the initramfs into the kernel, avoiding
10 > the need for a separate file. But now I use dracut, which does it all for
11 > me without the need for me to keep on top it.
12
13 My script is simpler and faster than what dracut or genkernel come up with. I
14 also only need to enter a decryption password once, with dracut and genkernel,
15 that is not (easily?) to set up.
16
17 I actually did the opposite as I got fed up with trying to get dracut and
18 genkernel to produce something that would actually boot properly without too
19 many questions during boot.
22 Joost