From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo ADSL wireless router (3 questions)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 23:02:26
1 <snip>
2 > > I'd like it to
3 > > behave that way as much as possible so my Gentoo router can handle as
4 > > many of the router duties as possible. I've disabled the Westell's
5 > > firewall. What other types of things should I look for in the
6 > > Westell's configuration screen to disable? Is there anything that
7 > > might prevent this modem/router from behaving like a modem for all
8 > > intents and purposes so my Gentoo router can behave like a router
9 > > connected to a modem?
10 >
11 > Some routers have a "DMZ Port" or "DMZ Host" option that will make the
12 > router automatically forward all ports to the machine configured on that
13 > port. If you like, you can even disable things like name serving and
14 > internal DHCP and let your Gentoo router handle those (if you followed
15 > the Home Router guide and used dnsmasq). If you have no Windows boxes
16 > on your network, you can safely disable WINS and/or NetBIOS name resolution.
17
18 Are you sure I can disable internal DHCP? My Gentoo router needs to
19 use DHCP to get an IP address from the Westell modem/router right?
20
21 - Grant
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list