From: Nils Freydank <nils.freydank@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] remove gnome/systemd
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:32:08
1 Am Dienstag, 12. September 2017, 17:55:22 CEST schrieb Raffaele Belardi:
2 > After several months of Gnome3 I decided it is too heavy for my old
3 > workstation and would like to go back to LXDE. The flow could be:
4 >
5 > 1. rebuild kernel with openRC support and install
6 > 2. emerge -C gnome networkmanager
7 > 3. emerge -C systemd
8 > 4. change profile to generic desktop (non-Gnome)
9 > 5. emerge -N lxde-meta
10 > 6. emerge -N xdm openrc anacron sysklogd sysvinit
11 > 7. reboot
12 >
13 > I doubt it will be this easy... anything I'm missing, suggestions?
14 Hi, I’d run it a bit differently:
15 - change profile
16 - force-remove gnome (emerge -aC)
17 - double checking USE flags and updating @world as usual
18 - cleanup (emerge --ask --verbose --clean)
19 - install services that aren’t already installed as a dep (maybe anacron or ntpd/chrony)
20 - Adding the services to appropriate runlevels (e.g. rc-update add xdm default)
21
22 - If necessary, replacing udev with eudev. I don’t remember if it got changed automatically
23 a while ago on one of my systems due the switch.
24
25 If you didn’t explicitly removed OpenRC you have it already installed, (removal is possible though),
26 and sysvinit gets pulled in by OpenRC ;-)
27
28 BTW, I personally like elogind (a standalone "cut off" of systemd-logind) and can suggest it
29 as a surrogate for consolekit2. Support by the upstream is incredible fast.
30
31 Have fun :)
32 Nils
33 > thanks,
34 >
35 > raffaele
38 GPG fingerprint: '00EF D31F 1B60 D5DB ADB8 31C1 C0EC E696 0E54 475B'
39 Nils Freydank