From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Possible new gentoo user
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:06:18
1 Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > For your first time I'd highly suggest the graphical installer. It'll
3 > save you some time, and while a lot of people correctly point out that
4 > it robs you of a great learning experience, it was the only thing that
5 > enabled a complete newbie (me) to successfully install gentoo.
6
7 I have to go the complete opposite direction from this. I'd stay away
8 from the graphical installer at least for a releases yet - IMO it isn't
9 a very stable product yet (no offense installer team, just needs more
10 time) and is known to break things on a regular basis. Put in the time,
11 do it by hand, and do it properly, configuring your own kernel and such.
12 It'll be worth it, because by the time you first boot your Gentoo,
13 you'll already know exactly what's in it.
14 --
15 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list