From: cal <cal@×××××××××.technology>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo alternatives
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 01:03:20
1 On 6/7/21 1:10 AM, n952162 wrote:
2 > I'm looking for a gentoo alternative and am surprised to see that google
3 > chrome os is based on gentoo.
4 >
5 > Does anybody have any experience with this?
6 >
7 > Do they support multi-media and basic modern desktop capabilities?  I
8 > see that there's some concentration on a special browser, but I'd be
9 > running Firefox and FVWM anyway.
10 >
11 > Do they use /portage/ and source packages?
12 >
13 > Do they push down every single upstream modification, like gentoo does,
14 > or maybe have a bit of hysteresis?
15 >
16 > I updated on May first and built firefox 78.10.*0*.  2+ days of
17 > building.  I updated on June first and built firefox  78.10.*1*. and
18 > spent 2+ days building.  I updated today because of the same old slot
19 > collision problems I've run into over a year
20 >
21 >    dev-python/setuptools:0
22 >    dev-python/setuptools_scm:0
23 >    dev-python/toml:0
24 >    dev-python/certifi:0
25 >    dev-python/jinja:0
26 >    dev-python/markupsafe:0
27 >
28 > and now, on the 7th, I'm building firefox 78.11.   I just don't have the
29 > time for this.  It impacts my machines too much.
30 >
31 > Yes, I know, there are binary versions, but if I wanted to use binary, I
32 > wouldn't use gentoo.  And anyway, there's always rust and gcc and ...
37 Firefox 78.10[1], 78.10.1[2], and 78.11[3] are all upstream releases
38 that fix security errata. Promptly pushing through security fixes from
39 upstream is the responsible thing for package maintainers to do.
40
41 How web browsers came to be so complex and whether it is worth it is
42 another topic entirely, but suffice to say I think your problems are
43 more caused by upstream than Gentoo.
44
45 As long as you are using a source distribution, you will pay the price
46 of long compiles for such complicated software, and it will happen
47 frequently because of how many security flaws crop up (again due to the
48 sheer scope and complexity of the thing), and if you do this on old
49 hardware it will be slow (although 2 days to compile Firefox seems
50 excessive, what hardware are you building this on?).
51
52 Regarding rust, personally I just gave up and installed rust-bin. Again
53 it's not Gentoo's fault that upstream's product is so bloated.
54
55 cal
56
57 [1] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2021-15/