From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is multi-core really worth it?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 10:10:05
1 On Tuesday, 5 December 2017 04:11:17 GMT Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
2 > On my 16 core opteron I have to do -j32 or sometimes -j64 to be using
3 > everything all the time, is this normal? If I don't do this it won't be
4 > pegged at 100% all the time.
5
6 On my 12-thread i7 I have -j24 -l60. Most times it's better not to limit the
7 number of jobs, just the load average; then portage loads up the CPU as high
8 as it can.
9
10 The exception, and even this is debatable, is when you're compiling a large
11 set of packages, say an emerge -e world, in which case so many jobs have
12 been started by the time they're all into compiling that the load soars to
13 silly heights - I've seen 80-odd here. But that's only about seven jobs
14 queued per CPU thread, so maybe it isn't too bad after all.
15
16 > I assume using a ramdisk would help with this? I wouldn't want to do a
17 > SSD as I assume it would excessively wear by doing compiles.
18
19 I use tmpfs, like this:
20
21 $ grep tmpfs /etc/fstab
22 tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs noatime,uid=portage,gid=portage,mode=0775 0 0
23 tmpfs /tmp tmpfs noatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=1777 0 0
24
25 If a tmpfs fills up, the excess gets swapped out, but with 32GB RAM here I
26 haven't yet seen any swap used at all - not even in an emerge -e world.
27
28 I've read that modern SSDs are far less prone to wear than earlier ones, as
29 R0b0t1 suggests.
32 Regards,
33 Peter.