From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Pay attention to what 'emerge' tells you.
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 20:54:59
1 I did my normal (approximately) weekly emerge sync/update today, and
2 the update failed: emerge complained about a conflict between perl
3 5.22 and 5.24. There were a bunch of perl modules that required 5.22,
4 but others required 5.24.
5
6 After a bit of messing around, I just uninstalled all the ones that
7 required 5.22 (and then uninstalled whatever apps required those
8 modules). This took numerous iterations of 'emerge --pretend
9 --depclean' and 'emerge -C <something>' and 'emerge -auvND'. After
10 10-15 minutes of this, the update ran without conflict, and then I
11 reinstalled whatever apps I had uninstalled.
12
13 Now update the next machine... same conflicts.
14
15 This time I paid closer attention to the emerge output and added
16 '--backtrack=30' as it suggested. Then the update worked ran no
17 problem.
20 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! BELA LUGOSI is my
21 at co-pilot ...
22 gmail.com