From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot disk "renames" /dev/md6 to /dev/md127.
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 13:36:35
1 On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > So, what was it that chewed up my RAID configuration so badly that
3 > /dev/md6 got renamed to /dev/md127? Can I change it back to /dev/md6,
4 > somehow? Do I need to bother?
5
6 I ran into similar issues a while back. In my case some of my arrays
7 were using older metadata (which was required at the time to boot
8 without an initramfs). I suspect that either this metadata lacked the
9 info needed for a boot CD to assign the same ID, or perhaps the ID I
10 was using was already allocated somehow and the boot CD chose another
11 one and wrote that ID to the metadata so that it stuck.
12
13 My solution was to move to using UUIDs or labels for everything and
14 not relying on array numbering. This of course requires an initramfs
15 - personally I've found Dracut to be the best one out there. It is
16 just far less prone to breakage when some update causes stuff to move
17 around like this.
20 Rich