From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cpufreqd and Pentium 4
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:56:48
1 On 3/13/06, Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > And installed cpufreqd, edited the config file and tested some
3 > configurations. I noticed it changes the frequencies all the time. Is
4 > there any side-effects on my CPU for this frequency changes? Will it
5 > reduce the CPU lifetime or anything like it? I couldn't find anything
6 > on Intel or Google to see if its harmless or not to use this feature.
7
8 It is almost certainly a net benefit to use power management. By
9 reducing the clock rate and turning off parts of the processor not in
10 use, you reduce the power consumed by the CPU and thus the heat
11 generated. Heat is your biggest enemy for CPU longevity, so reducing
12 that is always a good thing.
13
14 -Richard
17 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list