From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problem with dosbox and latest Nvidia driver plus xorg
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 20:52:19
1 I did an update world yesterday, which updated both nvidia-drivers and
2 xorg-server. I'm probably a niche here, but I use dosbox to play ye
3 olde DOS games. It's been running fine for the last few months. But
4 after the update, a dosbox textmode "fullscreen" is "letterboxed". I.e.
5 there is a black bar at the top and at the bottom. I tried tweaking the
6 dosbox config, to no avail. I even locked up the machine in the
7 process. Fortunately, Magic-SysReq got me out with a clean reboot.
8
9 My first instinct was to revert from nvidia-drivers-304.64 back to
10 nvidia-drivers-295.71. However, that would also force a downgrade from
11 x11-base/xorg-server-1.13.0-r1 to x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.4, which I
12 am reluctant to do. Anybody have any ideas for a better solution?
15 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
16 We are apparently better off trying to avoid udev like the plague.
17 Linus Torvalds; 2012/10/03 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/349