From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which USB device on which controller?
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:00:48
1 >> You seem to be right on here Dale.  usbview showed my printer
2 >> connected to the 2.0 controller and a webcam connected to the 1.1
3 >> controller, so I unplugged the printer and plugged the webcam into
4 >> it's slot and it still showed up under 1.1.  So there doesn't appear
5 >> to be any slot/controller correlation.
6 >>
7 >> This is a problem for me though.  My webcams can't both operate on the
8 >> 1.1 controller at the same time due to the bandwidth limitation of the
9 >> 1.1 controller.  I need them both on 2.0 or one on each controller,
10 >> but they are always grabbed by the 1.1 controller.  Even worse, I
11 >> disabled support for 1.1 in the kernel so only 2.0 was supported and
12 >> the webcams didn't show up at all.  Could they be USB 1.1 only?
13 >> Shouldn't a 1.1 device operate on a 2.0 controller?
14 >>
15 >> - Grant
21 > This is how I understand it.  Any 2.0 device should work with the older
22 > 1.0 version, just slower.  Backwards compatible.  However, like with my
23 > camera, if the device is a version 1.0, it will only work in 1.0 mode.
24 > If you recently purchased this, you may want to exchange it and make
25 > sure you get a 2.0 version.  That is if there is such a creature.
26 >
27 > The reason behind this is the chip inside the camera/webcam itself.  The
28 > cable can cause this if it is not made for the new higher bandwidth or
29 > is crappy but if the chip in there is the old 1.0 version, it can't go
30 > any faster.
31 >
32 > Another idea, you may be able to get a card to expand your USB ports and
33 > see if that will help.  Each card has its own chip as well.  Put one
34 > device on the card and one on the mobo port.  That way they are seen and
35 > controlled by separate chips.  That should help with the bandwidth
36 > problem at least.
37 >
38 > Dale
39
40 I'm looking at the box of one of the webcams and it says "USB 2.0
41 compatible". It's not a cable problem because the cable is built
42 right into the webcam. I'm not trying to get the webcam to go faster
43 back and forth to the controller, I just need to make sure I don't
44 have both webcams on the same OHCI (1.1) USB controller. I would
45 think buying a USB expansion card would work, but I have an EHCI (2.0)
46 controller on this system and a second OHCI (1.1) controller.
47
48 Does anyone have any idea on this. It really doesn't make sense.
49
50 - Grant