From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DHClient Woes - No Modules Loaded?
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 02:34:37
1 On Wednesday 04 October 2006 17:41, "Richard Fish" <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] DHClient Woes - No Modules Loaded?':
3 > On 10/1/06, Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > modules_eth0=( "dhcpcd" )
5 >
6 > This is the problem. By specifying the modules explicitly, you have
7 > told Gentoo *not* to use ifplugd.
8
9 That's not the way the modules line works. The modules line supplements
10 the built in defaults. For example, I use pump and ifplugd and my modules
11 line is simply:
12 modules_eth0=( "pump" )
13
14 The modules you've specified will be used for their service (in this case,
15 dhcp) and the defaults, if available, will be used for other services.
16 Were this not the case, I'd have to specify:
17 modules_eth0=( "ifconfig" "ifplugd" "pump" )
18 or similar, listing a module for each service. That are at least 3 net
19 services I know of:
20 configuration: either ifconfig or iproute2
21 link-detection: none, ifplugd, or netplug
22 DHCP: none, dhclient, dhcpcd, or pump (and possibly others)
23 and there are probably more services.
24
25 If you want to use dhcp via pump and turn off link-detection entirely,
26 you'd have to use a modules line of:
27 modules_$iface=( "pump" "!plug" )
30 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
31 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
32 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
33 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh