From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] building a binary distribution
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:10:03
1 On 11/20/06, Sathish Vasudevaiah <svholla@××××.net> wrote:
2 > I have a mythtv box (mini-ITX based, cyrix processor) which
3 > is very flow for any compilation. This system has the portage
4 > snapshot of 20051009. I would like to upgrade gentoo on
5 > to the current version ( Mythtv-0.20, X.org 7.1, gcc 4.1,
6 > kernel >=2.6.18) .
7 >
8 > As the mythtv box is very slow for compilations, is it possible to
9 > build a binary distribution for that configuration on a different
10 > fast machine ? Last time (Oct.2005) when the stage3 install was done,
11 > I had to put the CFLAGS as "march=i586 -m3dnow" for a stable system.
12 > How to do that in a binary distribution build?
15 You can make a chroot with a generic install for building binary
16 packages[2] and use it as a binhost[1]. Or you can use crossdev to
17 create an environment and use distcc[3] so your fast machine will
18 compile packages for you. I've used both and distcc seems a bit more
19 clean and transparent, while a little harder to configure (I had to
20 mask some crossdev packages till I get a usable configuration, but
21 after that, it works flawless).
22
23 [1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Using_PORTAGE_BINHOST
24 [2] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_setup_a_PORTAGE_BINHOST_server