From: Tim Jones <tjones01@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] g-cpan confusion
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 21:23:31
1 Hello!
2 Just getting settled with Gentoo, happy so far.
3
4 I was a little confused to learn of the existence of the g-cpan module, even
5 at the presence of perl modules in Portage itself. g-cpan is supposed to be
6 a Portage wrapper for plain cpan? If I use g-cpan to install a module, will
7 it use the ebuild, if one exists? Is there anything wrong with using plain
8 cpan? (It would bother me if there was not agreement between my local
9 Portage tree and what is actually installed on my system.) I guess I am just
10 feeling that someone tried to fix something that wasn't broken.
11
12 Furthermore, I was unable to emerge perl-gcpan/Bundle-CPAN, because it
13 depends upon virtual/perl-IO-Compress, which is hardmasked for reasons
14 unclear to me. This seems silly. Is this bug worthy?
15
16 ---
17
18 Okay before sending this mail I was able to emerge a module without an
19 ebuild and see that it ends up in my local overlay. This is cool. I also saw
20 some perl-IO-Compress-* modules get built, so my guess on the hardmask is
21 that the name IO-Compress is just obsolete, and that module is actually just
22 broken in pieces, and Bundle-CPAN hasn't had its dependencies updated.