From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] spoof mac address
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 21:14:44
1 On 10/09/2013 19:47, Joseph wrote:
2 > Does anybody know how to spoof mac address on Gentoo?
3 >
4 > I want to connect a machine directly to the modem but if I do so my
5 > static IP will change; so to retain static IP I want to spoof mac
6 > address on one of my machine to the same MAC as on my router.
10 If you have a host and a router with the same MAC address, how do you
11 suppose ethernet will continue to work?
12
13 Instead, rather do it right - your modem has a dhcp server. Configure it
14 to supply a specific address to your host's MAC address. Or, just set
15 the address statically in /etc/conf.d/net and don't use dhcp.
16
17 Or, do you actually want to bridge the modem and do pppoe on the host
18 instead of by the modem?
19
20 in /etc/conf.c/net:
21
22 mac_key_001122334455="s:foobar"
23
24 documented in /usr/share/doc/netifrc*/net.example.bz2
25
26 If you use a different network manager, consult that packages own docs
27 on how to change mac addresses.
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com