From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 21:49:54
1 On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Freitag 02 April 2010, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >> On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 20:40:54 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 >> > > LVM and RAID are completely different animals. No one suggested using
6 >> > > it for any reasons of data security, running LVM on a RAID array
7 >> > > gives both security and flexibility. As for being able to add space
8 >> > > to RAID, you can't temporarily add a new volume whenever you want,
9 >> > > you have to go out and buy another drive, then power down the
10 >> > > computer to fit it, assuming there is room in the case for an extra
11 >> > > drive.
12 >> >
13 >> > no need to power down - and you can add and remove drives. Read man
14 >> > mdadm.
15 >>
16 >> Assuming your controller supports hotplugging, assuming you have a drive
17 >> available to plug in, assuming you are able to physically add a drive.
18 >
19 > sata can hotplug. all ahci controlers can hotplug and all sata drives can
20 > hotplug. If you insist on technology straight from the stone ages that is your
21 > problem.
22
23 Do you know if it's necessary to signal to the system (like /proc/scsi
24 something) that I'm about to unplug the drive, and in which order the
25 power/data need to be disconnected to prevent a problem? I'm curious
26 in case of future need. :)
27
28 Thanks.