From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] udev not reading the rules files
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:09:25
1 I udev problems after updating to udev 191 on an almost fresh install,
2 then downgraded to 189 in order to match a working system. This was
3 working before the latest upgrade cycle.
4
5 The problem is most (not all !) device nodes getting root/root
6 owner/group. So /dev/snd, /dev/video belongs to root and not the
7 official groups. So any kind of desktop interaction (webcams, audio
8 etc) fails unless its the root user.
9
10 It appears that udev isnt reading the rules files - whilst on another
11 much older system with 189 all is fine :(
12
13 The guides I have found so far seem way out of date, even bugzilla.
14
15 * sys-fs/udev
16 Latest version available: 191
17 Latest version installed: 189