From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:52:27
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz> wrote:
2 >> Dracut is masked on ~amd64. Bugs me, as I'd rather use something like
3 >> that than genkernel (I very much like building my own kernels; it
4 >> helps me keep things lean, and keeps me familiar with the capabilities
5 >> of current and future systems). But now I have to find time to learn
6 >> how to use Genkernel.
7 >
8 > I don't understand why people always say that they hate genkernel
9 > because they like to build the kernel on their own. You still can do
10 > this with genkernel. I've been doing it for years.
11 >
12 > This is my workflow after I merged a new kernel
13 >
14 > # copy old config to new kernel sources
15 > % zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config
16 >
17 > # enter source dir
18 > % cd /usr/src/linux
19 >
20 > # run make oldconfig (help you keep things lean, keeps you familiar with
21 > the capabilities of current and future systems.....)
22 > % make oldconfig
23 >
24 > # compile kernel and modules, generate initrd, install to /boot and
25 > /lib/modules, create symlinks in /boot
26 > % genkernel all
27 >
28 > # recompile 3rd party modules
29 > % module-rebuild rebuild
30 >
31 > You just have to tell genkernel not to "make mrproper" in
32 > /etc/genkernel.conf - so that it actually uses your kernel config, and
33 > in essence, let's you "build your own kernel". I also tell genkernel not
34 > to run "make clean" - for a faster recompile if I have changed my kernel
35 > config.
36 >
37 > I love genkernel, it just makes life so much easier, you don't have
38 > enter every command manually. And still keeps it the gentoo-way: you can
39 > configure everything so that it does exactly what you wan't.
40 >
41 > Just take a look at /etc/genkernel.conf
42 > genkernel can do even more stuff for you.
43 > For example include a copy of /etc/mdadm.conf into your initramfs so
44 > that the initramfs can mount your software raid (even with metadata
45 > higher than 0.90 :) - this is where the kernel raid auto assembly fails).
46 > Or enable a splash theme for a graphical boot - if you like that sort of
47 > thing.
48 >
49 > I'm sure you're gonna love it to after you have used it for some time.
50
51 Sounds useful. At least parts of your workflow belong in the gentoo
52 installation guide...
55 :wq