From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] £ sign in OpenOffice
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 06:09:05
1 On Thursday 19 August 2010 05:01:45 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 18. August 2010 schrieb Mick:
3 > > On Wednesday 18 August 2010 19:58:14 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
4 > > > > Just adding to this, the £ sign works fine on the console. It is the
5 > > > > X applications (including terminals) that seem to have the problem
6 > > > > with the '£' sign.
7 > > >
8 > > > I assume you use KDE because you mention KMail. What have you set in
9 > > > KDE’s keyboard layout (Personal -> Regional Settings)? (Or if not KDE,
10 > > > then in $your_DE’s settingss)
11 > >
12 > > Yes, this box is running KDE.
13 > >
14 > > The regional settings show "United Kingdom".
15 >
16 > Hm.. either here’s a misunderstanding or you looked at the wrong place
17 > (because in Regional Settings, there is also a tab with "Region" in its
18 > name). I meant the active layout in the "Keyboard Layout" tab, where you
19 > have dozens of countries to chose from and where you can enable/disable
20 > the display of a flag in the tray area. Did you mean that one?
21
22 Ah! Yes, I have 'United Kingdom' in active keyboard layouts too. It also
23 shows keyboard model: Generic 104-key PC and Command: setxkbmap -model pc104 -
24 layout gb.
25
26 I suspect that this problem is related to the fact that I do not have a
27 xorg.conf setting to change the keyboard from the default US to UK and I
28 cannot set a hal/fdi file in /etc because I lose the keyboard completely in
29 kdm and cannot login (the infamous 'Dale' bug ...!)
30 --
31 Regards,
32 Mick