From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FreeAgent USB drive
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 14:30:54
1 On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:20 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have a FreeAgent(Seagate) usb drive, that shows up as /medea/sdb1
5 > in Konqueror. I can go thru it via Konqueror and see all of the files
6 > (dll .exe, docs etc) but I cannot cd into the directories and sub
7 > directories and see any files.
8 >
9 > The kernel I use (2.6.24-gentoo-r7) has NTFS r/w enabled and fat fs too.
10 > It works fine with most usb/ntfs devices. I also have ivman installed
11 > as well as dbus and hald.
12 >
13 > I've googled and folks talk about FreeAgent usb drive not being too
14 > linux friendly. The advise ranges from reformat the drive to patching
15 > the kernel to deal with it "auto-shut-down".
16 >
17 > I'd be curious how folks on this list use a free agent usb drive with Gentoo.
18 >
19 > If possible, I'd like to keep it with it's windows features and be able
20 > to move it seemlessly between doz and gentoo system, as a general purpose
21 > backup/restore/archive drive.
24 > Ideas and comments are most welcome.
27 > James
28
29 I have multiple external USB drives that I use with this kernel.
30 However I do have a couple that don't seem to work so well. My clue is
31 to look at dmesg with the drive attached and then again after the
32 drive is first attached. In the case of a good drive I'm going to get
33 a bunch of messages about the drive and its partitions. Look carefully
34 at the device name
35
36 /dev/sda
37 /dev/sdb
38
39 etc.
40
41 Then look at the partitions the USB driver is finding on the drive:
42
43 /dev/sdb1
44 /dev/sdb2
45
46 Once you see those you're good to go.
47
48 fdisk -l /dev/sdb
49
50 will list the partitions and give you sizes, etc.
51
52 For drives that don't work I get messages about the drive is
53 stabilizing and the system is waiting. If that happens nothing I've
54 found so far makes that drive work on that system.
55
56 Hope this helps,
57 Mark
58 --