From: David Sveningsson <ext@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2008.0 Installation Question...
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:50:26
1 Justin skrev:
2 > BRM schrieb:
3 >> I took the dive on my laptop this weekend and installed Gentoo 2008.0. I started Friday night and used the stage3 and latest-portage.
4 >> The initial install when okay, until I started emerging applications - specifically X windows/KDE/etc; and that is the point I am still working on.
5 >>
6 >> The problem seems to be that emerge/portage is not detecting dependencies correctly, or rather - a dependency says it is installed but the ebuilds for other packages that depend on it do not find the files it supposedly installed. For example, I have had to manually emerge nearly all the X protocol (e.g. xproto, xkbproto, etc.) packages.
7 >>
8 >> I've installed several other gentoo systems, but not with 2008.0 directly like this - my last two were installed under 2007.0 and upgraded to 2008.0 profiles.
9 >> The only bug reports I come across seem to indicate broken e-builds, but that does seem to be the case as "emerge --search <program>" indicates it is installed when in fact it might not be which leads me to believe that the local portage database (?) is somehow broken or something...
10 >>
11 >> Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?
12 >> Is there anything I can to do get fixed?
13 >> -- Preferably without re-installing from scratch, though I can if need be since I haven't gotten that far despite >48 hours of time put into it already.
14 >>
15 >> Nearly every time I run "emerge world -vuDN" it will go for a while and then break when the contents of a package that was supposedly installed are not found by a package depending on it.
16 >>
17 >> Any how...any tips would be greatly appreciated!
18 >>
19 >> Ben
23 > you can also use equery check to check all files which should be
24 > installed. Did you do an emerge --sync to corrected any portage brackage?
27 I had a similar issue installing 2008.0 once but that was most likely a
28 broken portage snapshot. emerge --sync fixed the problem.
33 //*David Sveningsson [eXt]*
34
35 Freelance coder | Game Development Student
36 http://sidvind.com
37
38 Thou shalt make thy program's purpose and structure clear to thy fellow
39 man by using the One True Brace Style, even if thou likest it not, for
40 thy creativity is better used in solving problems than in creating
41 beautiful new impediments to understanding.