From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best file system for portage tree?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 14:42:16
1 Am 10.03.2012 14:30, schrieb Alex Schuster:
2 > Hi there!
3 >
4 > Is there an advantage in putting the portage tree on an extra partition?
7 Yes. It allows you to use a smaller and more appropriate block size like
8 1k or 2k which decreases internal fragmentation. It also increases
9 locality of data, meaning that you won't scatter your files all over
10 your 2TB hard disk. Ext* and co. have mechanisms to prevent this but it
11 still helps to enforce it.
12
13 > Currently, I'm using reiserfs, because I read that it is efficient when
14 > using many small files. On the other hand I also heard that it tends to
15 > get slower with every emerge --sync.
18 Yes, that's a problem of every file system. Reiserfs (especially without
19 notail) and btrfs are more prone to this due to their internal organization.
20
21 > Space is no longer an argument in these days, at least for my desktop
22 > machine. But I would like to optimize for speed -- emerge -DputnVj
23 > @world takes quite a while to calculate, I assume this is because so many
24 > ebuild files have to be accessed.
27 Not just ebuilds. You also have to consider /var/cache/edb and
28 /var/db/pkg. Be careful with the latter one. You don't want to loose its
29 content.
30
31 > Any tips on this? Does it make sense to use a special file system just
32 > for the portage tree? What would be best? Would it help to re-create this
33 > file system from time to time in case it gets slower with every sync? Or
34 > wouldn't I notice a difference if I just used a big ext4 partition for
35 > all portage related stuff?
36 >
37 > Anyone using a compressed RAM file system for that? :)
38 >
39 > Wonko
42 Recreating it certainly helps. I don't find it worth the effort. though.
43
44 Regards,
45 Florian Philipp