From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Minimal world file.
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 20:29:43
1 Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > This may be a silly question, but I don't know, so I'm going to ask.
3 >
4 > What is the minimal world file to be somewhat conceptually similar to
5 > a debootstrap install of Debian / Ubuntu?
6 >
7 > Is the world file that ships with stage3 the smallest it can be?  Or
8 > are there things that can safely be removed?
14 If I recall correctly, the world file from a stage3 tarball is empty.
15 It only has the packages you want installed added there.  Are you
16 thinking about the system packages instead of the world file?  If so, I
17 think it is as small as it can be already.  After all, a stage3 tarball
18 can't even boot as it has no kernel, boot loader mechanism or anything.
19 It's only enough that you can build from to suite your needs.
20
21 Dale
22