From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multilib or not?
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:18:00
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM, João Matos <jaoneto@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi list.
4 >
5 > I've been using gentoo amd64 multilib for at least five year, and the system
6 > is working pretty well. But the recent discussion about 64 bit over 32 made
7 > me wonder about changing the profile to a non-multilib.
8 >
9 > So I run 'revdep-rebuild --verbose' just to check what do I have that still
10 > depends on emul-linux-x86* and I've found:
11 >
12 > app-emulation/wine-1.4
13 > sys-boot/grub-0.97-r10
14 > www-plugins/google-talkplugin-2.1.7.0
15 > x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-295.59
16 > games-emulation/zsnes-1.51-r2
17 > skype
18 >
19 > I suppose that I'll have no problem with wine or nvidia-drivers based on
20 > preview discussion. But how about grub, zsnes, skype or some .bin games
21 > installed outside portage, like Aminesia?
22
23 Don't know.
24
25 > I'm assuming that I'll also have no problems with codecs, because since I
26 > compiled mplayer with vdpau support I can play all video stuff with it.
27
28 There will be some codecs which mplayer doesn't support. Stuff whose
29 particular spec has been lost to time, missing documentation and
30 win32codecs. That will continue to be the case until the
31 reverse-engineering geeks find time and samples to cover the
32 remainder.
33
34 Honestly, I don't see much of a point to getting rid of multilib,
35 unless you're looking for some sense of systemic purity. I do know
36 people who do that. (But they also avoid anything closed-source, which
37 certainly helps.)
40 :wq