From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 03:06:03
1 Am Thu, 14 Dec 2017 08:54:59 +0100 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
2
3 >> Some historical correctnesses about Canek:
4 >>
5 >> - He has been here for years - He has contributed here for years - He
6 >> supports systemd and has offered more help and explanation about
7 >> systemd to it's users on this list than any other single person, bar
8 >> none - He has never, not once, slagged off SysV Init, OpenRC or any
9 >> other init system, ot the creators or the users - He has never posted
10 >> rude or inflamatory comments about anyone arguing against him - He has
11 >> never resorted to ad-hominem and never posted any knee jerk opinions
12 >> about any other poster wrt their stance on init systems
13 >
14 > +1 I may not agree with Canek on all things:
15 > - I do dislike systemd, especially on Centos where disabling services
16 > doesn't always work past a reboot
17
18 Well, I think you're falling the pitfall expecting "disable" makes a unit
19 unstartable. That is not the case. Disabling a unit only removes it from
20 the list of units starting on your own intent. It can still be pulled it
21 as a (required) dependency.
22
23 If you really want it never being started, you need to mask the unit.
24 It's then no longer visible to the dependency resolver as if it were not
25 installed at all.
26
27 The verbs disable and enable are arguably a bit misleading, while the
28 verbs mask and unmask are not really obvious. But if you think of it, it
29 actually makes sense. If you "rc-update del" a service, you wouldn't
30 prevent it from being started neither, just because OpenRC is still able
31 to pull it in as a dependency.
32
33 So it's actually not an argument for why you'd dislike systemd. ;-)
37 Regards,
38 Kai
39
40 Replies to list-only preferred.