From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package.provided syntax for overlay
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:35:16
1 On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 11:17:11 +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > Another option is to copy/symlink the specific package you want from
4 > > the bar overlay to your local overlay and do not include the bar
5 > > overlay in repos.conf.
6 >
7 > Sorry for being dense. Do you mean first add the overlay with 'layman
8 > -a bar', then symlink the particular package to my local overlay?
9
10 Yes.
11
12 > How
13 > will I be updating this package in the future, if I do not have the
14 > 'bar' overlay settings in /etc/portage/repos.conf/layman.conf?
15
16 Layman will still update all its overlays when you run layman -S, but
17 portage will not see the contents. I've used this method often when I
18 want a single package from an overlay. You may have to link more than one
19 package to satisfy dependencies, but that is not usually the case in my
20 experience.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Where do you think you're going today?