From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory Usage
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:15:35
1 Redouane Boumghar wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > Grant wrote:
5 >> Also, I've noticed in top that when my server's 2GB of memory is
6 >> filled, it uses a small amount of swap (~24k) before it frees some up.
7 >> The "Swap: 24k" then remains. Is that normal?
8 >
9 > Yes I have also notice that after a heavy ram use I get this tiny
10 > space used on my swap. And it remains even after my ram has been half
11 > freed.
12 > My box has 1GB of ram and the small amount I sometime get on swap is
13 > 164KB and it can stay like that for 2 weeks, until i reboot.
14 > But I assume rebooting is not a great solution for a server :=)
15 >
16 > Writing to disk is too expensive as Pablo Antonio suggested, so once swap
17 > has been used it won't be cleaned until next use, but how to be sure
18 > it is cleaned at next use ?
19
20 >From /etc/conf.d/rc:
21
22 > # RC_SWAP_ERASE controls erasing of swap partitions at shutdown.
23 > # Useful for all those paranoid peeps to nuke their memory.
24 >
25 > RC_SWAP_ERASE="yes"
30 > Anyway if you want to have stats on the usage of your memory you can
31 > use 'free'
32 > but for a long-period log I would recommend 'vmstat' as it puts
33 > everything on one line so you could gnuplot it later.
34 >
35 > vmstat | grep -v [a-z] >> memory.log
38 > As Daniel Iliev suggested, there is the configurable sysctl for swap
39 > control solutions. The variables vm.swappiness and the
40 > vm.swap_token_timeout which
41 > control the "trashing behavior". I didn't really find much info on
42 > vm.swap_token_timeout.
43 >
44 > The man is not very extensive.
45 > Has Anyone more info on configuration of the file /etc/sysctl.conf ?
46 > especially for :
47 > vm.swappiness
48 > vm.swap_token_timeout
49
50 You can put this in your /etc/sysctl.conf file:
51
52 > vm.swappiness = 30
53
54 That is what I have in mine. It does work though. I have changed and
55 you can see the difference.
58 > If we get a solution or just some more info,
59 > it would be nice to have a wiki page about it, wouldn't it ? ;)
60 >
61 > Have a Good Day,
62 > Red.
63 >