From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Converter parallel-port to USB
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:27:21
1 Am 29.11.2011 04:16, schrieb James:
2 > Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
5 >> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3742
6 >> Does anyone use this USB-adapter-cable:
7 >> ID 067b:2305 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2305 Parallel Port
8 >
9 > Unknown. Look in the driver section of building a kernel
10 > for the supported devices. I have use FTDI usb-serial converters
11 > without issue.
12
13 I think it would be supported via the usblp module, but I also found
14 info that CUPS doesn't like that. Tried both ways, no success so far.
15
16 >> successfully with gentoo?
17 >>
18 >> If no, are there any "yes, works" recommendations for an adapter-cable
19 >> or -card to attach an old, but perfectly printing HP LJ2100 to my new
20 >> machine?
21 >
22 > How about the EIO jet card mentioned in the manual for this device?
23 > They should be cheap, used.
24
25 Good idea, will check that.
26
27 > An old parallel port on an old pci card should do the
28 > trick, if all you needs is a parallel port.
29
30 Yep. No old PCI-slot then on the new motherboard ...
31
32 > Some of those old Laserjet printer could be set up across a serial
33 > port, if nothing else works.....
34
35 I found something like a PS/2 port under the hood ... might that be the
36 serial port? Gotta dig up some manuals ...
37
38 Thanks, Stefan