From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup and Restore
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:49:20
1 Thomas Chef wrote:
2 > Hello !
3 >
4 > Now that my gentoo system is up and running the applications that I
5 > want to use, how do I make a reliable backup ?
6 >
7 > Can I follow the guide on:
8 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Backup_to_DVD
9 >
10 > Is that a proven/working method ?
11 >
12 > / Thomas
13
14 A lot of people recommend mondo-rescue. I think it creates a bootable
15 CD/DVD and you can restore from there. I have never used this but it
16 gets mentioned a lot.
17
18 Also, just look around in app-backup and see what you can find. You may
19 find something that better suites your needs.
20
21 For me, I use Kbackup to back up my data, portage tree, and config files
22 that I can use to rebuild from. It works well enough for me. It will
23 even size the tarballs to fit on the CD/DVD too. This would mean
24 recompiling everything again but that's just me.
25
26 Most of this will depend on what you are needing to backup, whether you
27 want a command line tool or GUI and a few other odds and ends.
28
29 Dale
30