From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] RAID 1 over network
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:30:40
1 On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:58:37 +0200
2 Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 16:45 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
6 > > DRBD is HA solution which is achieved by switching the role of the
7 > > nodes in case the "active node" goes offline. I think DRBD is not
8 > > meant for the schema OP has described, because only the "active
9 > > node" is accessible via FS. DRBD works between the FS and block
10 > > device layers. It catches the FS writes from the active node and
11 > > sends them over the network. DRBD on the backup node receives those
12 > > and replicates them directly to the disk driver. Thus you can't
13 > > have mounted FS on the backup node. If the active node goes
14 > > offline, the backup node takes over which means DRBD switches roles
15 > > and the FS has to be mounted afterwards.
16 >
17 > But that might be a good solution with 2.6.30, NFS and FSCACHE.
20 Sorry, perhaps I'm missing something, but I couldn't understand
21 the solution you had in mind.
22 I'm just saying that the only scenario I have some experience with is
23 DRBD + ext3 and it won't work for load balancing.
24 If "LAMP A" and "LAMP B" as shown on the OP's schema were connected via
25 DRBD + a conventional FS (ext/xfs/reiser/etc.), then only one of those
26 systems would be able to serve client requests at a given moment.
29 Best regards,
30 Daniel