From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mdev for udev substitution instructions web page is up
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 04:14:45
1 On Mar 17, 2012 9:54 AM, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > The instructions for replacing udev with mdev are now up at
4 > http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ validator.w3.org complains about a couple
5 > of extensions I used, but it appears to work OK in both Firefox and
6 > Midori. Any comments from users of other browsers? The page will be
7 > permanently "under construction", i.e. evolving as we find out more
8 > about how mdev works.
11 Walter,
12
13 I've been reading on mdev, and I think there are some things we ought to
14 try :
15
16 1. *IMPORTANT* make sure there's /etc/mdev.conf !
17
18 2. Adding 'mdev -s' into /sbin/linuxrc after mounting sys/proc.
19
20 man busybox says that 'mdev -s' populates /dev with devices it detects
21 during boot. Maybe we won't need kernel devtmpfs anymore?
22
23 3. To handle hotplug events, ' echo /bin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug '.
24 But I'm not sure which kernel config to enable to make that sysctl knob
25 appear.