From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Relocating notification popup KDE-4.5
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:37:02
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 03:02 on Tuesday 30 November 2010, Dale did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > walt wrote:
5 > > On 11/29/2010 12:09 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > >> Such a simple thing and I cannot find how to do it.
7 > >
8 > > I tried kde 4.x during its early Dark Days and finally gave up in
9 > > complete bafflement.
10 > >
11 > > Well, so many people in this group are enthusiastic supporters of
12 > > kde I decided I'd give it another go over our long holiday weekend.
13 > >
14 > > I dreaded the thought of compiling the entire kde desktop on gentoo
15 > > (again!) so instead I came up with the brilliant idea of installing
16 > > kubuntu on a VirtualBox linux guest machine on my gentoo host.
17 > >
18 > > The installation of kubuntu was brain-dead-easy (that's the whole
19 > > point of *ubuntu, after all) but when I logged in and started to
20 > > use the kubuntu kde desktop to do actual work (shudder) I quickly
21 > > found myself in a hopeless muddle (yet again!).
22 > >
23 > > My theory is that anyone over forty just doesn't understand what
24 > > young-punk developers are about, these days.
25 > >
26 > > When I was a young punk myself, long ago, the mantra was "Don't
27 > > trust anyone over forty!" (But I don't suppose you're old enough
28 > > to remember those days.)
29 > >
30 > > I think today's young-punk developers must certainly feel the same
31 > > way about old-fart (over-forty) lusers like me. (You?)
32 >
33 > I'm over 40. I been using KDE4 for a while now. It doesn't get on my
34 > nerves, to much. lol
37 Same here :-)
38
39 I "get" KDE (mostly) but some stuff is just bizarre:
40
41 Activities. wtf are those?
42
43 By and large I get by on everything else.
44
45 And e17 is starting to look more and more attractive as days go by...
49 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com