From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Can QEMU emulate cpu instructions the host cpu doesn't have?
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 07:20:24
1 On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 11:27:34PM -0500, Poison BL. wrote
4 > I think the issue is using KVM there. When you're emulating
5 > something feature-different from the host cpu (or at least something
6 > that requires an added feature), I suspect you're stuck with
7 > non-accelerated emulation (I'm pretty sure the *old* acceleration
8 > kernel module is no longer maintained). I know qemu can do full
9 > emulation of instruction sets that the host cpu lacks because I've
10 > used it for arm... but I've never really toyed with other x86 series
11 > features like that personally.
12
13 I've tried RTFM, and it only serves to confuse me even more. I have
14 qemu-kvm. Google shows aa bunch of documentation on qemu and on kvm. I
15 have qemu-system-x86_64 and qemu-x86_64.
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications