From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 15:41:10
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> 4 or 5 hours huh. I guess drives are a lot faster now. Back in the
4 >> late 80's or early 90's, it took that long for those whimpy little 100Mb
5 >> drives. Ooops, my ages is showing again. lol
6 > I recently found a box of hard drives in my house and have been using
7 > ddrescue to pull the data off of them. These drives were not that old,
8 > around 1gb each. Desktop drives. I was amazed at how slow they were
9 > relative to today's drives... 2MB/sec? 5MB/sec? My internet connection
10 > is faster than that now.
11 >
12 > Also, found a dead 5.25" Quantum hard drive... forgot how huge those
13 > are. Weighed a ton and it was built like a tank.
14 >
15 > Your new drive will probably go around 100-150MB/sec or so on
16 > sequential writes. So you can do the math and figure out how many
17 > hours that will take.
22 It won't be that fast. The drive supports 6Gbs/sec but my mobo is only
23 3Gbs/sec. I hope to upgrade my mobo at some point. Then maybe the ram
24 and CPU. I been looking at those 8 core CPUs a bit. The prices are
25 coming down slowly.
26
27 Anyway, I'll only get the 3Gbs/sec for now.
28
29 I used to have a couple of those really old 14 inch hard drives. I
30 think I sold them for scrap a few years ago. They were mostly aluminium
31 if I recall correctly. They were only a few megabytes but they sure was
32 big.
33
34 Our age is showing. lol I bet folks know I am not a teenager now. ;-)
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!