From: Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Building static libraries
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:16:29
1 On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:28:21 -0800
2 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Renat Golubchyk wrote:
5 >
6 > > As you said, you really are confused. :-) Maybe I wasn't clear
7 > > enough. Anyway, I've written a program, and I need it as a
8 > > statically linked binary. In order to link statically the linker
9 > > (ld) needs all the used libraries in static form, i.e. as a .a and
10 > > not as a .so file. Since portage does not build static libraries by
11 > > default I need a way to tell portage that I really do want to
12 > > have .a files built.
13 > >
14 > > I do _not_ want to create a Gentoo package, at least not at this
15 > > stage of development.
16 >
17 > Still confused :o(
18 >
19 > Portage is for building Gentoo packages -- if you don't want to build
20 > a Gentoo package then why is portage involved? You can compile and
21 > link your program with any flags you want to, so as to get static
22 > binaries.
23
24 Because my program uses different libraries which I don't build
25 manually. Instead I use portage. That way I can compile in only those
26 features that I need and I don't have to resolve dependencies.
29 Cheers,
30 Renat
33 Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
34 durch die sie entstanden sind.
35 (Einstein)