From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why I can't I build systemd without ipv6?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 19:42:23
1 On 10/13/2017 12:02 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Just to expand a bit on this - the Gentoo-added service manager kernel
3 > options are purely for convenience. If you don't use gentoo-sources
4 > you won't see them at all, because they're not part of the upstream
5 > kernel. All they do is pull in a bunch of other options. Back in the
6 > "good old days" people would look at the wiki (or pre-wiki) page for
7 > openrc, see a list of mandatory kernel options, and set those options
8 > when building their kernel. Then somebody had the clever idea that it
9 > would be easier for users to not shoot themselves in the foot if we
10 > just gave a one-click option that set all the requirements
11 > automatically. However, the kernel configuration settings doesn't
12 > really have any concept of "optional dependencies" - so we're stuck
13 > with either not pulling in ipv6, which mostly works, or pulling it in,
14 > which always works.
15 >
16 > It is completely safe to answer no to whether you use systemd and
17 > openrc, and then just manually answer yes to the things that you need.
18 > Just keep in mind that you may run into issues if you don't enable
19 > something that is truly mandatory, or you might have diminished
20 > functionality. It also means that you need to keep your ears open for
21 > when the requirements change, since there won't be a Gentoo automagic
22 > kernel config setting to change things for you. That said, running an
23 > upstream kernel isn't really that big a deal - I do that since I run
24 > btrfs and zfs and want to have a bit more control over which series
25 > I'm running to mitigate the bugs.
28 That's good to know. I've been running gentoo-sources since 2003 or so.
29 This is the only time I've noticed a problem, and thanks to the link
30 that Mike posted if all else fails I'll turn off the automagic and
31 configure things manually.
32
33 My networks are (were?) taken care of by networkmanager, but now that
34 systemd is gone on more machines there's really no reason to keep it around.
35
36 Dan