From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with raid1: error while booting
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:15:38
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > In short, if you don't really know what initramfs is, you are probably
4 > not using it! So I am not sure why you are having this problem.
5
6 Neither am I. I already installed a couple of servers with full raid1
7 using various distros (RedHat, Caldera, Debian), now I'm trying
8 Gentoo and I can not get past the first booting... :-(
9
10 > Could you double check that /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules contains:
11 > # md block devices
12 > KERNEL=="md[0-9]*", NAME="md/%n", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="disk"
13
14 Yes, I do have it there...
15
16 > Also, do you have any custom rules files in /etc/udev/rules.d?
17
18 No custom rules. Did not have time to make them, you now, my system
19 is not booting at all...
20
21 > In the maintenance mode, does /sys/block/md0/* exist? What does "cat
22 > /proc/mdstat" report?
23
24 mdstat does not report anything. No /dev/md* exist, so no /dev/md*
25 is running...
26
27 BTW, on gentoo-forum I got answer with link pointing to debian list:
28
29 http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2005/02/msg00253.html
30
31 It seems (or at least it is discussed there) that this (udev does not
32 create /dev/md* at startup) is some kernel-bug! If some of our kernel
33 developers is watching this list, could he confirm or refuse it?
34 Can I somehow get rid of udev, when it is causing problems to me?
35
36 In the meantime I'm trying to update my system to 2.6.12-r4
37 (up to now I used 2.6.11-r3 from 2005.0 universal installation cd)...
38
39 Jarry
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list