From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: eix showing me weird results
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 18:01:42
1 On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 15:26:25 +0000 (UTC)
2 Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 10:50:45 +0000 (UTC)
6 > > Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Except generating the metadata by yourself there is not much you
9 > >> can do.
10 > >
11 > > Is it `emerge --regen` which will do that for me?
12 >
13 > Not really: this would store the metadata in /var/cache/edb/dep
14 > To generate the metadata use something like
15 > egencache --update --repo=gentoo
16 > but this will be lost with the next syncing.
17 > If you really want to do this regularly (and be independent of
18 > gentoo infrastructure) you should perhaps use git instead of rsync
19
20 Thanks. I'll only do it if/when eix disagrees with portage
21 again. The issue causes me no real trouble, just causes me a moment of
22 consternation when eix tells me there should be a downgrade of what
23 portage has just upgraded; I only notice it because I run
24 eix-test-obsolete after every world update.
25
26 More than solving this minor annoyance, I've learned a lot from you
27 about how and where portage handles metadata. Thanks again!