From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Dell Inspiron M1710
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 00:24:27
1 Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Wed, 02 May 2007 08:14:03 -0400 Colleen Beamer
5 > <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 >>> What does "the font doesn't resize" mean exactly and how's that
8 >>> looking errorneous to you?
9 >> It's not that it's erroneous. I'm just being a bit anal. In all my
10 >> other Gentoo installations, when the computer boots up, the font
11 >> starts out large, then there is a sort of blip and the penguin
12 >> graphic appears and the font becomes smaller..
13 >
14 > Hm, OK, I see. Does your kernel's command line contain a valid
15 > "video=..." setting?
16
17 I'm not sure what you mean here. In my make.conf file, I have the line
18 video_cards="nvidia"
19
20 Are you sure you're handing it a recognized mode
21 > string? (I.e. when there's something like "1024x768x24@70" or so, the
22 > values aren't freely configurable but must match a valid video mode for
23 > the framebuffer driver in question -- most of them use those from the
24 > "modedb"). Also, you'll need not just framebuffer, but framebuffer
25 > console support, too.
26
27 I use genkernel and there is a screen resolution of something that says
28 1024x768 and I can't edit it. I also don't know what my horizontal and
29 vertical sync are because it's not in my documentation and when I used
30 ddxcinfo-knoppix -hsync, it returns 0 0 and ddcxinfo-knoppix -modlines
31 doesn't have a corresponding mode for my monitor - the resolution is
32 1920x1200.
33
34 Regards,
35