From: Raphael <raphael.melo21@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python vs C++ [was: Gentoo Rules]
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:36:19
1 On Dec 17, 2007 11:55 AM, Hemmann, Volker Armin
2 <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > *removedlotsofideas*
4
5 ??
6
7 > your ideas sound nice on paper. But one strenght of portage and its
8 > structures: no matter how hosed your 'data', you can repair it with cp, mv,
9 > an emerge sync and a text editor.
10 >
11 > Which is all not true, if you start using some database crap.
12 >
13 > Go, look at /var/db/pkg - you can read and repair that stuff easily.
14 > Or the files in /var/lib/portage. Damaged world-file? nano FTW!
15
16 The Portage files are easy to maintain. But I honestly never _had_
17 to read them. I just did out of curiosity. And I never needed to
18 repair them either. When I got hosed data, I just replaced everything
19 with the latest backup copy and never looked back.
20
21 Using a database follows the same principle. If you make backups,
22 you don't need to think about how the system tools store their data.
23 If your system gets in an unstable state, you just recover it. And
24 backing up a database is, IMHO, simpler than backing the Portage data.
25
26 Regards,
27
28 Raphael